About Me

My photo
Debbie England is a mother of 10. She has 5 girls and 5 boys. Her perspectives on raising children are often sought out by family and friends. Her husband Steve has been encouraging her to commit her thoughts to writing and thus the idea to begin this blog. Debbie intends to continue to share her thoughts on motherhood and faith, two journeys without an end. As she often says - our goal is not to raise kids, but to raise kids to become adults. Enjoy her open letter written to her children and perhaps a smile.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Just because it's funny...

As with previous posts, the intention for writing was to impart a lesson or to share some knowledge I wanted you all to know.  However, this post is an exception. You may or may not find a lesson here. I share this experience for two reasons. First, it makes me laugh that it happened...and secondly, I still can't believe it actually happened...but it did.


I  had forgotten about this hilarity until recently.  I was thinking about funny stories I could share with a friend to cheer her up and provide a few laughs. Suddenly, this comedy came flooding from the recesses of my crowded memory bank. 

It was roughly fifteen years ago and we were living in Houston.  I had 6 kids at the time. Rianna was the youngest and finally enrolled in the Mother's Day out program. It was surely a Tuesday or a Thursday, yet the day of week matters very little.  What matters is that I treasured these days like gold because it meant a free moment to myself in a completely quiet house after dropping kids off in the morning.  Some days I would clean or run errands, yet some days I would catch up on a some much needed rest. 

On this particular day, I woke up craving more sleep and knew I'd race home to a quiet, comfy, unmade bed. I'm not certain if I even owned a cell phone yet but I took the reciever off the hook just to make sure there were no interruptions to my solitude and slumber.

I had just gotten cozy and began to relax when I heard a light rap at the door. Convinced it was a door to door magazine salesmen or a Johovas witness, I stayed locked in the covers.  The knocking became louder and more persistent.  I was annoyed but figured they'd give up when I didn't answer the door.  Suddenly I heard the door open and a mans voice..."hello,  HELLO!"

Shocked and scared, I froze. Who in the heck is breaking into my house when I'm trying to sleep?? Never mind the door was unlocked. I was more perturbed this burglar was disrupting my time alone.  I decided I better peek around the corner and see who was in the house.  Luckily there was a bat handy, as you all know you can find sports equipment laying around the house at all times.

As I peeked around the corner with bat in hand, I noticed the cul desac filled with police cars...I think it was the SWAT team.  A police officer had his gun aimed straight at me. I still wasn't registering the scene although the house was crawling with police officers, darting here and there...guns fully drawn. I thought I may be dreaming except I knew I hadn't even had a chance to fall asleep.

I said..."uuummm, what are you doing?"
The police man still pointing his pistol at me said, " WHO are YOU?!"
I said..."ummmm, I live here." Obviously this was a mistake.
He said, "Do you have you an ID ma'am??"
That's when I started to panic.  My ID was still a Missouri license because I had not yet visited the DMV to get a new one. My address still had our previous address.

I produced the ID anyway and told my pathetic moving story praying he wouldn't cuff me right then and there.  As he looked everything over including the house with a fine tooth comb, he explained they received a 911 call from our address. When they tried to call back, it was busy and they had to check out the premises for suspicious activity, robbery, possible kidnapping etc.  My question to this day is "how on earth did I dial 911and not know it??"

I believe it was the mystical force in my life that does not want to see me take a nap...ever! And you can be sure I didn't fall back to sleep after the last cop car pulled away.  I think I went straight to the DMV and renewed my license!

No comments:

Post a Comment